Yes, I know the title scares you a bit, I have many reasons, allow me to share just 10.
1. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matt 6:19-21
2. For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs – 1 Tim 6:7-10
3. No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. – Matt 6:24
4. Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. – Heb 13:5
5. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. – Luke 12:33
6. And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. – Luke 6:20
7. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God. – Mark 10:25
8. And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions – Luke 12:15
9. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition – 1 Tim 6:9
10. Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity – 1 John 2:15-17
I don’t know which is better – believe the truth of God’s word, or spend time defending and giving other extra Biblical reasons why these statements are not absolute. Jesus spoke most of these words directly!
God owns all things, and he hasn’t transferred ownership. We who live consciously as people owned by God know that we don’t own our lives and neither do we own anything. We can never be rich! The best we can be is a steward of the things that God owns! God is the owner, we are His faithful stewards. The true test of ownership is what leaves with you when you die and leave this earth. Stop laboring for the things that perish. All the energy God gives us, is to access all the resources so we can manage them on God’s behalf. To claim to own something, or to attempt to settle God with a percentage is to separate ourselves from God’s ownership. Really, it’s that simple.
Never let any materialistic gospel convert you from following Christ. Jesus is not the means to an end. He is the end! I don’t follow Jesus because he can make me rich! Having Jesus is true riches! I don’t follow Jesus because I want to become important – Following Jesus is importance beyond the scope of the worlds understanding and timeframe. Don’t lust after things that are not eternal. The human soul is worth more than the entire earth, there is nothing on this earth or underneath it, that is worth trading your soul for.
NB: These are what Jesus commands, we must make him our standard, not what we have been taught.
To Join us online or offline to study the Bible… add me.