Wheeeh, wheeeh…. weeeeh. These were probably the first words your lips ever uttered. It’s incomprehensible in most languages, it’s the first communication that typically leaves the lips of a baby. We were not born with the skill of any language, we learnt to talk! Where you and I are today in our use of language, is a function of what we have learnt, or allowed ourselves to learn. Like with most things however, less than 20% of humanity occupy a proficiency level higher than 80%. For most of us, the powerful tool of words is grossly underutilized. My objective in this peice is to arm you with a comprehensive talkkit to enable you achieve more with your mouth.
Before you delve into this specially prepared delicacy, let me further whet your appetite. If you get things right with your words, it can literally help to turn your life around. You can experience more joy, more wealth, greater relationships, better self awareness and esteem, you’ll ooze more confidence, be more charming, achieve more and your game will clearly step up. If you make use of what you are about to read, and form habits out of some of these instructions, you will become successful, you will radically improve and your progress and the comments it will elicit from your friends and family will be UNBELIEVABLE!
Let’s get one thing perfectly right. That red piece of velvet between the white ridges of ivory called your teeth has within it the powers of life and death. Like a little rudder directs the giant ships and the little keys open great doors, that tongue of yours holds in it the key to your successful future. Your life is literally under the control of your tongue. If your life becomes triumphant and your battles won, or you remain less than average and comfortable with the status quo, it is because of your use or lack of use of your tongue. Take my words for it, you are a product of the words you allowed to germinate in your heart, and your future is taking it’s instructions from what escapes those white ridges today.
There are 5 key directions in which we talk, and there is a way to do it well, and transform our lives by the way we talk. These ways for the sake of this presentation are: Selftalk, Uptalk, Downtalk, Sidetalk/Around talk and Backtalk.
1. Selftalk: Words are a development level ahead of thoughts. When you heart is full of a thought, the mouth speaks. Conventionally, thoughts produce words. Because words are superior to thoughts however, it is possible to use the flow of words to align your thoughts and build momentum. The cyclical progression is thoughts to words to actions to thoughts. You need to learn to say positive things to yourself. Your tongue is like a pen making inscriptions on the tablet of your heart. Words are the language that our hearts are programmed with. You can be hated or loved, as a result of words. Autosuggestion is a tool for converting wandering thoughts into motivating obsessions. Gather great words, and say them to yourself about yourself until you are in reality what you declare to be. In the book of wisdom, a notable verse challenges all who would be successful to only one vital activity – “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it, so shall you make your way prosperous, and so shall you have good success”.
Friends, what you say, is what you’ll get. Words are the substance out of which our worlds were made. “I am more than a conqueror, I am a winner, I am blessed and highly favoured, I am rich, I am in right standing with God, I am a role model…Keep saying it, don’t stop!
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
2. Uptalk: No matter how self sufficient you are, we always have those times, for some of us, regularly, when we have to turn to our creator and maker. Uptalk is your conversation with God! There is how to talk to God as well, God is our creator, He was before we are. So we talk to him with reverence and on his terms. We ask him for things we know are in his will, he wants the best and cares for us, our language to him and to others should reflect that. Don’t be hasty in God’s presence, don’t make the offering of fools… impulsive vows and promises. He’s your father, and he lovingly cares. Uptalk is called prayer, it’s a channel that must be openned 24/7. It’s the talk that fosters confidence and brings peace and calmness.
3. Downtalk: This is how you talk to somoene who occupies a social position perceived to be lower than yours. Whatever word you say to anyone who looks up to you or are percieved higher then, should be words that lift up. Words that encourage, words that edify. Words that leave the person better, that makes the person stronger. Not words that pull down. Let another soul benefit from the strenght of your words, not suffer from it’s blows. Don’t talk down to people, talk people up.
If you call your children all sorts of names, and rain abuses on the heads of those who serve you. In a matter of time, the words will reap their harvest, and whereas the whole world sees good, you’ll experience the harvest of your words. Rather, let your words minister grace to the hearers. Let another comment that listening to you made a difference in their lives.
4. Side/Around Talk: These are the exchange of words between us and people around us, they are words in response to building emotions, words in conversation. Soft words turn away wrath. Peaceable words come with calm. Words energize others, influence people create peace or at times birth wars. We need to live peaceably with all men, and utter words that encourage, that edify, that end quarrels and most importantly words that are aligned with the Gold rule. We should only speak to others, that which if spoken to us would be appreciated.
Also speak to your situations and circumstances. Speak to your environment. All that was made was made with words, everything in creation obeys words. Even the angels who excel in strenght harken to the spoken word of God. Speak to the wind, to the fig tree, to the sun, to the earth, to your business, to your circumstance, speak! The events and circumstances around our lives obey.
5. Backtalk: This is what you say when another is not around. This is what you say of people behind their backs. Only say in the secret, that which you are comfortable of getting to the open. There is nothing hidden under the sun, everything declared in the secrecy of the bedroom, will one day be announced at the rooftop. Don’t backbite, don’t slander, speak the truth in love. Rebuke openly if you must, it’s better than loving in secret. Be straightforward, be candid, be considerate. Be concious that what you do to others, will be done to you as well. When you talk behind other people’s backs, watch yours.
We all learnt to talk, but there is yet more to learn. That little member called your tongue holds to key to your destiny. Master it, and you can create a brand new world for yourself, no matter how chaotic things are at the moment.
If you can stay constant to positive word habits for the next 100 days you would have advanced to unbelievable heights and it will be clear that your life is sparkling. I dare you to prove this principle wrong!