1. Hope triumps over Fear. Obama came with a message of hope Mccain with a message of fear. Hope won, and still wins. Whatever you are facing, your hope will win your fear, when fear is high, tune hope up.
2. Our defining moments are preceeded by two waves of preparation. Obama became a celibrity in 21 months, but if he had any scandal in his life in his 46yrs, those 21 months would have revealed it. He prepared lifelong, and prepared just in time. Many atimes we focus on the just in time preparation, assuming that life will set us up for what we have never prepared for. From the time you became responsible for yourself till now, what have you been preparing for? The world doesn’t meet anyone half way, you want it, you’ve gotta go for it.
3. There is spot for all of us to stand and move the world. Obama’s clear spot was public speaking skills. He knew how to connect with his audience and move them with him. Where is that spot for you, where you can stand and move the world. In the exhiliration resulting from the discovery of the lever system, Archimedes is quoted to have said, give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. We call can, if we find our spots and perfect it.
4. No man is an Island! Obama’s victory is the openning of a new chapter on a struggle that started many years ago. Obama is the answer to the work and clamour of the past (the Buker T Washingtons, Rosa Parks, W E B Du Bois and Martin Luther Kings of this world), the present (his campaign team, family and vice) and the future (all those who believed). No matter how good you are, you are not going to achieve much on your own. Who are you leveraging on, who are you working with. Who is your past, who is your present, and where is your future.
5. The same way you are loved, you will be hated! Go to google and type the words Barack Obama + Character, and you will see for yourself that Barack Obama is as hated as he’s loved. There are too many articles clearly showing him in bad light. Obama had millions of American’s that voted against him and were not happy that he’s president, he led popular votes by 5million votes. No matter how much majority votes you get, you will still have people voting against you. You can’t please all in this world, don’t try! Let it be sufficient that you have the courage of your convitions, and you as much clarity to your close circle.
6. The Internet is Powerful, get accomodation there. Obama was able to use the internet to create awareness and also raise funds for his campaign. Barack Obama was able to raise about $640million for his campaign, according to data on the internet as well, he still has close to $66million unspent. The internet is a powerful use, that everybody under 40 today must master or use to be relevant in the future. The internet hosts the most expensive real estate in the world today. Do you have a website? Do you belong to a social network? Are you internet savvy?
7. The most reliable support you’ll ever get are people, not organizations! Out of all that Obama raised, $579 million was from individuals. He got endorsements from a few companies, but his major support came from individuals. I was at an NGO funding lately where we were clearly told the same hidden truth. Stop wasting your time with those companies looking for sponsorship, go out there and meet your family, friends and foes. If a corporate supports you, it’s because there are people there that believe in you. Don’t underestimate the individuals.
8. There is time for everything! There are many things that worked for Obama that wouldn’t have worked 4yrs ago, and wouldn’t work in 4yrs time. There were a number of factors that tipped things in his favour almost overnight. The Economic depression, and the perception that it was the failing of the current republican government, the Sarah Palin factor, for all it’s worth, e.t.c. It was just the best time to have featured. In what you are gunning for, there is time for it. God’s time is the best.
9. Marry your Friend, Invest in your family. The family is a bit young, but with the way they are close knit an involved, I forsee a beautiful home for him. For all my single friends out there… do something! Don’t marry for marriages sake, marry someone that can go far with you.
10. Yes we can! We can rise from Obsurity to Prominence. We can rise from being a lecturer to being the president. We can rise beyond the prejudices of our race, we can rise beyond the classification of our nation, we can rise beyond our limitations, beyond history. Yes we can!