The madness of the prophet is a biblical definition used by Apostle Peter to describe Balaam – one of the people who shared one of the most profound prophecies about the Christ. He started well, but he was lured by what he wanted! Many Pastors are falling into the same pit, the Bible says they have followed the way of Balaam. I can go ahead and give examples, but no need, Jesus said by their fruits you shall know them.
1. He started ministry as full time occupation and now he’s rich! He also spends like an owner, now has businesses and investments and you don’t care about his source. He’s not mad alone, he has followers.
2. He refers to the Church as my Church! He thinks those how ensure they never make the mistake of calling it their Church are being overzealous. He also has a few congregation members who don’t know what’s up calling it “my Church”.
3. He prays and declares a blessing upon all! He commands a blessing on the righteous and the unrighteous. He blesses who God has cursed. He tells the people that everything is going to be all right! The signature of false prophets in the Bible is peace! Being a child of God will never be popular or become a good thing in the eyes of this world, if your Pastor makes it easy for you to be at peace, beware!
4. He has an allegation of adultery and sweeps it under the carpet? The prophet has become audacious (odeshi may be involved). This is the type of boldness that makes a mad man simply cross the express or take off his clothes publicly. I wouldn’t blame the prophet too much though, his people are not guiltless. They celebrate him! Don’t zone this to one pastor alone though, a revered and respected man of God once told me that I cannot count on the finger of one hand, all the topline men of God that do not have their adultery stories. I tried counting, I mentioned all the big ones I know and only 1 was confirmed without a scandal for the season under evaluation. There is problem! The reason why you are having those struggles is because you have no idea the virus in the pool you have been drinking from. Like Pastor Like congregation. Don’t say I’m harsh 2 Peter 2: 12 -14 actually refers to them as unreasoning animals! “They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are stains and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, as they carouse with you; having eyes full of adultery and that never cease from sin; enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children; . . .”
5. He collects no Salary from the Church, that seems to be the standard these days, but he makes money from prophets offerings, “baba gba ope wa”, Prophetic seeds, Pray for us, and commercial value generated from preaching and publishing “God” inspired messages and books. He has followed the way of Balaam! God told Balaam to go – or so it seems, but He went against God’s will! He was instructed to go by the idol in His heart. Ooh, who doesn’t want a rich pastor, tell them to work to earn to give, and stop fleecing the flock.
6. He looks the same as the rest of them! Back in the days of the apostles, the false prophets were the different ones, today they are the ones that are the same. Those that are completely taken by Jesus and giving 100% to him are the strange ones. The enemies of the cross who preach joy and peace at the expense of people’s realities of suffering and pain are in the majority. Those who exploit the pocket books and emotions of others, with one “godly” project after the other are the norm, the ones who have the audacity to declare that God does not want your tithe are in the minority.
NB: These people may look good to you, but you are not the standard. God’s word is the standard. Jesus is the standard. Let God be true, and every man, including the ones you and I love, be a liar.