Building lasting relationships is one of the most important things we can do in our lives. Whether it’s with family, friends, colleagues, or romantic partners, having strong, healthy relationships enriches our lives and brings us happiness. Proverbs, the book of wisdom in the Bible, provides some valuable insights into how to build lasting relationships. Here are seven tips from Proverbs that can help you build solid and lasting relationships.
1. Be quick to listen and slow to speak: Proverbs 18:13 says, “To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.” Listening is a key skill in building strong relationships. When you take the time to truly listen to the other person, you show them that you care about what they have to say. By being slow to speak, you give yourself time to consider your response and respond in a thoughtful, respectful way.
2. Speak kindly and truthfully: Proverbs 16:24 says, “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” When you speak kindly and truthfully to others, you build trust and respect in your relationships. Your words have the power to uplift and encourage others or tear them down. Choose your words carefully and speak with kindness.
3. Be patient and forgiving: Proverbs 10:12 says, “Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers all wrongs.” No relationship is perfect, and there will be times when you or the other person makes a mistake. When you choose to be patient and forgiving, you demonstrate your love and commitment to the relationship. Holding grudges or dwelling on past wrongs only leads to conflict and division.
4. Practice humility: Proverbs 15:33 says, “Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the Lord, and humility comes before honour.” Humility is a key trait in building strong relationships. When you are humble, you put the needs and interests of others before your own. You show respect and honour to the other person, even when you disagree with them. Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it’s thinking of yourself less.
5. Show gratitude: Proverbs 11:25 says, “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Showing gratitude and appreciation for the people in your life is a powerful way to build lasting relationships. When you express your thanks and appreciation, you make the other person feel valued and loved. This, in turn, strengthens your bond and deepens your relationship.
6. Practice discretion: Proverbs 11:13 says, “A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.” Being a trustworthy person is essential for building lasting relationships. When you practice discretion and keep confidence, you show that you can be trusted. This builds a foundation of trust and respect in your relationships. Those who tell me of others are likely to tell others of me.
7. Seek wisdom: Proverbs 4:7 says, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.” Seeking wisdom is essential for building lasting relationships. When you seek wisdom, you gain the knowledge and insight needed to navigate the complexities of relationships. You learn to see things from the other person’s perspective, understand their needs and desires, and respond in ways that build trust and respect.
In conclusion, building strong and lasting relationships is a lifelong journey. It requires patience, humility, kindness, forgiveness, discretion, gratitude, and wisdom. By applying these seven tips from Proverbs, you can build strong, healthy relationships that will enrich your life and bring you happiness. Remember that relationships take time, effort, and commitment, but the rewards are well worth it.